Sarah and Joey’s elegant and classic wedding was pure perfection, and everything I love about being a Bald Head Island wedding photographer. From start to finish, the timeless white and blue sailing motif combined with the incredible location (The Bald Head Island Club), and the over-the-top beautiful design by Design Perfection really set the stage for one fantastic wedding celebration. This wedding had it all- from a great bridal party, to an incredibly sweet wedding ceremony, all the way to the hand-rolled cigar station (?!?) at the reception. It’s always an honor to be a part of these incredible days! And make sure to check out the A-List vendors who helped make this day perfect below..
Reception: Bald Head Island Club
Design and Coordination: Design Perfection
Dress: Augusta Jones Bridal: Custom design
Shoes: Kate Spade
Bridesmaids Dresses: Alfred Sung
Grooms Tuxedo: Brooks Brothers
Deserts: One Belle Bakery
Videography: Light Cannon Films
Lighting: High Performance Lighting
Cigar Station: Cigar Row Events
Rentals: Party Suppliers
This Abilena Plantation wedding in New Bern, NC was absolutely beautiful from start to finish. Shauna with Shauna Loves Planning designed and coordinated this picture perfect day, and it couldn’t have been for two more deserving people. Alex and Eli were so much fun to work with, and right from there engagement session I knew their wedding was going to be a blast. Their wedding was full of southern charm, from the historic plantation venue, to the color palette, to the grooms suit choice and everything in between. Scroll down to check out my favorites from this amazing Abilena Plantation wedding day.
This has to be one of my favorite locations to shoot- Bald Head Island, and The Bald Head Island Club specifically, hosts some of the most beautiful weddings I’ve ever shot. From the first time I met with Erin and Steve I knew I was going to love photographing their wedding. He’s got this natural charm and wit, and she was sweet, fun and stylish (the first picture in this post says it all!) Their Bald Head Island Club wedding was perfect- the day was gorgeous, the vendors were all A List and everyone had an amazing time. If you are in the process of planning a Bald Head Island wedding and are looking for inspiration, scroll down and I look forward to hearing from you!
If anyone knows me, they know that Northern California, and Lake Tahoe wedding photography especially, holds a special place in my heart. So I was thrilled when Bailey and Ryan asked me to photograph their wedding there. At the time of their wedding, the Mariposa Wildfire was burning close to Yosemite and the whole area was hazy- so the typical bright blue Tahoe sky was hidden. But it also gave the surrounding mountains and meadows a soft, beautiful feel you don’t usually see in the high Sierra. All in all it was an incredible day, the wedding was beautiful and the celebration was a party I won’t soon forget! Congratulations Bailey and Ryan- you guys were so much fun to work with!
Enagement sessions are so much fun and a great way for us to get to know each other better. And often times at the end, people (especially the guys) say ‘that was a lot of fun, and I was dreading it!’ I understand that it can be a little nerve wracking to think of being in front of a camera for 60-90 minutes, but fear not- it’s always a great time. And I’ll be telling you exactly what to do every step of the way, literally- even in those candid looking moments. Very rarely do we work with models who know exactly what to do in front of a camera, so I totally get it! Also, people always ask ‘what should we wear’ for their engagement session? So I went ahead and compiled a little list of tips that will hopefully get you feeling fun, cool and confident!
1. Be You: Tried and true advice that applies to just about everything in life…be you! Choose outfits that reflect your style and personalities. Wear what makes you happy and your confidence will come out in the photos.
2. Coordinate: Wear colors that compliment each other but aren’t exactly matching. Also, be sure to dress on the same scale. You should both look like you are headed to the same place. If you are dressed formal and chic, he shouldn’t be in plaid shorts and his old college t-shirt.
3. Stick with Neutrals: Bright colors (especially neons) are distracting, can reflect funky color casts on your skin tones, and can take away from what we want to capture in these photos…you! Now, this doesn’t mean you can only wear grey, white, and beige. There are more neutral tones of all colors. For example, baby and navy blue are neutral shades of blue. These shades are toned down and will be far less distracting than say a bright royal blue.
4. Less is More: I love simplicity. While one or two accessories such as a hat or a scarf can add a lot of personality into a photo, it’s important not to go overboard. Remember an engagement session is about capturing your faces, your relationship and your connection.
5. Consider the Surroundings: When choosing colors and style, consider the surroundings. Be sure to choose outfits that compliment and make sense with the surroundings. Everything should have the same vibe. We all know how much I love shooting in these far flung locations. So for example, if we are up in the mountains, be sure to wear (or at least bring) shoes you can hike in.
6. Watch for Distractions: Just like I mentioned staying away from bright colors, watch out for other distractions such as logos, wording on clothing, or bold patterns.
7. Empty Your Pockets: I mean this in the most literal sense…empty your pockets! We do not want keys or a phone showing through your pockets. Guys, sorry to call you out on this one.
8. Comfort is Key: Wear clothing that is comfortable and that you can move in. Be sure to get just the right fit. Not too tight, but not to loose. The better you feel in your clothes, the better you’ll look in front of the camera!
9. Switch Things Up: Can’t decide to go casual or formal? Patterns or solids? Don’t decide, do both! It’s fun to get two totally different looks in your session. Or, try mixing both styles into one outfit. Flowy dresses are my absolute favorite to photograph… They are the perfect mixture of formal and casual and work with almost any location.
10. Spoil Yourself: I recommend every girl get their makeup professionally done for their engagement photos. It’s a small investment that helps you feel confident, which definitely shows up in your pictures. Makeup artists also know all the right tricks for even skin tones and perfect application — all things if not done right, the camera is really good at picking up. Take some time to spoil yourself a little; you’ll enjoy these images forever.
Bonus Tip! Have Fun: I know this doesn’t necessarily have to do with “what to wear” for your engagement session, but it’s important nonetheless. Maybe the most important tip I have! Remember this is something you’ll only do once in your lifetime…enjoy it and soak in every second. Have fun and laugh together. Planning a wedding can be busy — use this time to slow down, focus on your relationship, and reconnect.
As far as the actual shoot is concerned, I love both the simple, and styled equally. So any props or pets are always welcome, but never necessary! If you have any questions just let me know. We’re going to have a blast!
Wrightsville Manor weddings are always beautiful to photograph and Micaela and Chris’ wedding was no exception! This wedding day was so much fun from start to finish, and Social Butterfly Events and Design Perfection went over the top with gorgeous design, bouquets and florals. Check out this beautiful day below!
Shoes: Lilly Pulitzer
Bridesmaid Dresses: Nouvelle Amsale from Coastal Knot
Groom’s Suit: Jos A Banks
Venue: Wrightsville Manor
Coordination: Social Butterfly Events
Florals: Design Perfection
Violin: Maura Kropke
Cake: One Belle Bakery
Catering: Pine Valley Market
Rentals: Party Suppliers
Entertainment: Active DJ Entertainment
Hair: Jamie Warzel
Make Up: Amy Kennison
Tucked away in the back of Airlie Gardens is the Lebanon Chapel, one of the most picturesque spots for a Wilmington wedding. Jacqueline and Joey’s wedding was perfect right down to the last detail, thanks to Fiore Fine Flowers, who brought the couples ideas to reality. But even better than the beautiful design of this wedding day was their sincere and intentional love for one another. It’s one of the things I loved about them right from our first meeting. I wish them all the best- and hope for many, many amazing years together!