Enagement sessions are so much fun and a great way for us to get to know each other better. And often times at the end, people (especially the guys) say ‘that was a lot of fun, and I was dreading it!’ I understand that it can be a little nerve wracking to think of being in front of a camera for 60-90 minutes, but fear not- it’s always a great time. And I’ll be telling you exactly what to do every step of the way, literally- even in those candid looking moments. Very rarely do we work with models who know exactly what to do in front of a camera, so I totally get it! Also, people always ask ‘what should we wear’ for their engagement session? So I went ahead and compiled a little list of tips that will hopefully get you feeling fun, cool and confident!
1. Be You: Tried and true advice that applies to just about everything in life…be you! Choose outfits that reflect your style and personalities. Wear what makes you happy and your confidence will come out in the photos.
2. Coordinate: Wear colors that compliment each other but aren’t exactly matching. Also, be sure to dress on the same scale. You should both look like you are headed to the same place. If you are dressed formal and chic, he shouldn’t be in plaid shorts and his old college t-shirt.
3. Stick with Neutrals: Bright colors (especially neons) are distracting, can reflect funky color casts on your skin tones, and can take away from what we want to capture in these photos…you! Now, this doesn’t mean you can only wear grey, white, and beige. There are more neutral tones of all colors. For example, baby and navy blue are neutral shades of blue. These shades are toned down and will be far less distracting than say a bright royal blue.
4. Less is More: I love simplicity. While one or two accessories such as a hat or a scarf can add a lot of personality into a photo, it’s important not to go overboard. Remember an engagement session is about capturing your faces, your relationship and your connection.
5. Consider the Surroundings: When choosing colors and style, consider the surroundings. Be sure to choose outfits that compliment and make sense with the surroundings. Everything should have the same vibe. We all know how much I love shooting in these far flung locations. So for example, if we are up in the mountains, be sure to wear (or at least bring) shoes you can hike in.
6. Watch for Distractions: Just like I mentioned staying away from bright colors, watch out for other distractions such as logos, wording on clothing, or bold patterns.
7. Empty Your Pockets: I mean this in the most literal sense…empty your pockets! We do not want keys or a phone showing through your pockets. Guys, sorry to call you out on this one.
8. Comfort is Key: Wear clothing that is comfortable and that you can move in. Be sure to get just the right fit. Not too tight, but not to loose. The better you feel in your clothes, the better you’ll look in front of the camera!
9. Switch Things Up: Can’t decide to go casual or formal? Patterns or solids? Don’t decide, do both! It’s fun to get two totally different looks in your session. Or, try mixing both styles into one outfit. Flowy dresses are my absolute favorite to photograph… They are the perfect mixture of formal and casual and work with almost any location.
10. Spoil Yourself: I recommend every girl get their makeup professionally done for their engagement photos. It’s a small investment that helps you feel confident, which definitely shows up in your pictures. Makeup artists also know all the right tricks for even skin tones and perfect application — all things if not done right, the camera is really good at picking up. Take some time to spoil yourself a little; you’ll enjoy these images forever.
Bonus Tip! Have Fun: I know this doesn’t necessarily have to do with “what to wear” for your engagement session, but it’s important nonetheless. Maybe the most important tip I have! Remember this is something you’ll only do once in your lifetime…enjoy it and soak in every second. Have fun and laugh together. Planning a wedding can be busy — use this time to slow down, focus on your relationship, and reconnect.
As far as the actual shoot is concerned, I love both the simple, and styled equally. So any props or pets are always welcome, but never necessary! If you have any questions just let me know. We’re going to have a blast!
There are so many beautiful places in Wilmington to shoot engagement sessions.. One of my favorites has to be Fort Fisher, just south of Kure Beach. This is where Joey proposed to Jacquelyn- so it was only fitting that we went there to shoot their gorgeous engagement session.
Bald Head Island weddings at the Shoals Club are always gorgeous and Blaire and Ben’s celebration was no different. But honestly, this awesome couple could have gotten married anywhere and it would have been just as perfect. They had such a sweet admiration for each other and friendship that their love story was just the cherry on top. From the heartwarming ceremony to the dance throw-down reception this day had it all.. It was such an honor to be a part of this day along with all the other amazing vendors that helped make it perfect. If you are getting married on BHI, make sure to scroll to the bottom to check out the A-List team we had for this wedding!
Wedding Dress: Kitty Chen Couture
Bridesmaids’ Dresses: Bella Bridesmaid
Groomsmen’s Attire: Jos. A Banks
Venue: Bald Head Island
Cinematography: Light Cannon Films
Hair: Head To Toe Salon
Makeup: Bailey Upchurch
This picture perfect wedding at Grace United Methodist Church and 128 South in Downtown Wilmington NC was amazing. Ashley had thought through every detail of the day and it turned out beautifully! Congrats to the newlyweds- we had a blast documenting your day!
Don’t forget to go like EBP on Facebook here!
I loved working with Abigail and Tony! This simple and sweet session turned out perfect. Plus they were in cowboy boots and brought a shotgun.. what’s not to love?? So enjoy, and please click here to go like us on Facebook. If we get to 1000 likes before the end of the year, everyone gets ice cream. My treat.
I have the great opportunity to photograph a lot of weddings at the amazing Shell Island Resort. Although each year we find ourselves shooting all over the county, I absolutely love that a place like this exists right in our back yard, here in Wilmington NC! Brett, Lauren, and all of their guests were so much fun to work with. The day was amazing, and we wish them all the best! I want to say a special thank you to Heather Healy of Port City Event Planners for all of the gorgeous design and decor! Beautiful job! If you haven’t already, go ahead over to our Facebook page and click the Like button! We’re trying to get to 1000 likes before the end of the year!